Details Of: ||PEO STAR Scholarship (For women) |
|Date: ||10/6/2017 |
|Calendar: ||Scholarships (General)|
A woman is eligible to be recommended for the P.E.O. STAR Scholarship provided she:
- Exhibits excellence in leadership, academics, extracurricular activities, community service and potential for†future success
- Is in the final academic year (senior year) of her secondary education and †is 20 years of age or under at the end of the calendar year
- Has a minimum cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Is a citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States or Canada
- Plans to attend an accredited postsecondary educational institution in the United States or Canada, full-time or part-time, in the fall of the academic year following high school graduation
- Is recommended by and receives the vote of a local P.E.O. chapter
About the P.E.O. STAR Scholarship (STAR)
The P.E.O. STAR Scholarship was established in 2009 to provide scholarships for exceptional high school senior women to attend an accredited post-secondary educational institution in the United States or Canada in the next academic year.
This is a non-renewable $2,500 scholarship for graduating high school senior women which must be used in the academic year following graduation or it will be forfeited.
At the discretion of the recipient, funds may be paid directly to the recipient or to the accredited educational institution. Funds used for tuition and fees or required books and equipment are usually non-taxable for income tax purposes. Funds used for room and board might be reportable income for tax purposes. Recipients and their families will decide on the use of funds and will be responsible for any taxes incurred. Recipients and their families should seek professional tax guidance.
Lady Huskies who are interested in pursuing nomination from the Ashe County chapter of PEO should talk to their school counselor about he process. †Paperwork is available in the scholarships file drawer in the Guidance Office (ask Mrs. Sloan for help). †The following items are due to Mr. Kubota by October 6th in order to be considered for nomination:
- Student Activity Chart explaining your involvement and level of responsibilities.
- A one-page essay stating your future career goals (be specific!). Include your name on the essay.
- Unofficial high school transcript through 11th grade.
- Two letters of reference from those who know you well. †Each should be in a sealed envelope with the reference's signature across the seal.